Having managed to see a big firework display on bonfire night at Blackheath Common last Saturday, I suddenly remembered that some years ago on that very night we lit a fire in our fireplace for the very first time.
Guy Fawkes Night
While seventeen burning crosses
were carried through the streets of Lewes
we lit our first fire.
It was only a month earlier
that our chimney had been swept,
a chimney pot and bird guard fitted.
Smokeless wood logs
were lying carefully arranged
inside a wicker basket
ready for their
final resting place.
A poker, log grabber, ash shovel and brush
hanging from their stand
next to old newspapers and a box of firelighters,
were the only other conspirators.
Eager to do our part
on this cold and rainy bonfire night
we scrunched some newspaper into
placed them with two logs
inside the cast iron basket,
following only our own novice logic.
Then we lit four firelighters.
In front of the orange blazing blissful heat
we embraced staring mesmerized at the
dancing figures appearing in the fire
Before they transformed
into thick dark smoke
rising up to the fire alarm fitted to the wall
on top of the stairs
awakening our bewilderment
resulting in frantic waving of wet towels
before the noisy device as we burnt to
silence the deafening noise
running around headless
to open every window and door
to let our neighbours know of the failed attempt
and let the dark smoke escape.
Remember remember the fifth of November we always will.